Sunday, February 17, 2019

Why the Horn of Winter can now fall into the wrong hands


Potential Spoilers Below

I keep telling everyone that similarities between The Wheel of Time (TWOT) and A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) are vast even if there are those out there that say otherwise.  Most book readers will agree that the Horn that Jon Snow found is the Horn of Winter/Horn of Joramun but why didn’t it do anything when Jon blew it?  Click here to see my blog on circumstance of Jon Snow finding the horn if you aren’t familiar with the books?  Click here to see my blog on who I believe the horn summons and what the purpose of the horn is.  So, Jon Snow blew the horn after he found it but it did nothing; why?  I believe that something that powerful only works for its intended purpose under the circumstances it was designed to work under.  When Jon Snow blew the horn, he did do one thing however; he bound the horn to himself.  After believing the horn was broken, he made a gift of it to Sam.  GRRM made sure we knew how important this horn was by letting us know that no matter the danger that Sam faced after Jon gave it to him, he never lost possession of it.  When the White Walkers attacked, he lost his sword, forgot to tie the notes to the ravens before releasing them to let people know what had befallen them.  After he departed for the Citadel, to become a maester, he traded everything he had except for the clothes on their backs and you guessed it the horn for food and passage.  Bottom line the horn is important.  So why do I say the horn can fall into wrong hands now; after all I just told you all it was bound to Jon Snow.  Well the Wheel of Time (TWOT) holds the answer to that in what it tells you about the Horn of Valere.  The following excerpt should clear up things:

The Horn of Winter / Horn of Joramun

The Horn of Valere

“You seem almost eager,” Turak said, and Fain barely suppressed a wince. “I will tell you why I will not sound the Horn of Valere, or even keep it, and perhaps that will cure your eagerness. I do not wish a gift of mine to offend the Empress by his actions; if your eagerness cannot be cured, it will never be satisfied, for you will never leave these shores. Do you know that whoever blows the Horn of Valere is linked to it thereafter? That so long as he or she lives, it is no more than a horn to any other?” He did not sound as if he expected answers, and in any case, he did not pause for them. “I stand twelfth in line of succession to the Crystal Throne. If I kept the Horn of Valere, all between myself and the throne would think I meant to be first hereafter, and while the Empress, of course, wishes that we contend with one another so that the strongest and most cunning will follow her, she currently favors her second daughter, and she would not look well on any threat to Tuon. If I sounded it, even if I then laid this land at her feet, and every woman in the White Tower leashed, the Empress, may she live forever, would surely believe I meant to be more than merely her heir.”


Did the lightbulb come on?  You guess it Jon Snow died.  The Horn of Winter is not bound to anyone at this moment.  At the time that Jon Snow blew the horn they weren’t even aware that White Walkers and wights even existed.  Joramun the last known to blow the horn was long dead so when Jon Snow blew it the magic or whatever you want to call it bound the horn to him.  Once he died however the pact between Jon and the horn was broken.  The same thing happened to the hornblower Mat in the TWOT:


“Hello, Hawkwing,” Mat called.

“Gambler,” Hawkwing replied. “Do take better care of what has been allotted you. Almost, I worried we would not be summoned for this fight.” Mat let out a relaxing breath. “Bloody ashes, Hawkwing! You needn’t have drawn it out like that, you bloody goat-kisser. So you fight for us?

Of course we fight for the Light,” Hawkwing said. “We would never fight for the Shadow.”

“But I was told—” Mat began.

“You were told wrong,” Hawkwing said.

“Besides,” Hend said, laughing. “If the other side had been able to summon us, you’d be dead by now!”

“I did die,” Mat said, rubbing at the scar on his neck. “Apparently that tree claimed me.”

“Not the tree, Gambler,” Hawkwing said.

“Another moment, one that you cannot remember. It is fitting, as Lews Therin did save your life both times.”


Everyone in TWOT thought that the horn was still bound to Mat.  They had tried to get the horn to him so that the could in the time of their greatest need blow the horn and summon the “Heroes of the Horn”.  They were all unaware that Mat had died and been brought back by the Dragon Reborn (twice).  Another blew it trapped upon a hill with Trollocs, wights are their counterparts, closing in on all sides; he blew the horn in desperation and summoned the heroes.  Will a similar situation occur after Sam learns the true purpose of the horn and attempt to get it back to Jon Snow believing only, he can blow it to summon the “Kings of Winter” that lay within the Winterfell Crypts?  If that does occur, I have always thought that that individual would be Podrick Payne as he most fits the character Olver that blew the horn in the end.  I don’t believe GRRM would put in place a safeguard like in TWOT as I believe that even the White Walkers could use the horn if they came into possession of it.  So that’s my story and I’m sticking to it, what do you think?

Comments encouraged.  Love to hear the idea’s of others.  Most believe that since I present my idea’s as “fact like” I’m not open to change my viewpoints which is far from the truth.  I simply look at the information presented and go from there.  If you can shine a light on another way of thinking that opens the door to debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment