Sunday, March 3, 2019

Has the Night King’s demise already been written?


Potential Spoilers Below

I keep telling everyone that similarities between The Wheel of Time (TWOT) and A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) are vast even if there are those out there that say otherwise.


Min reached up enough to hand Perrin a folded piece of paper. “Loial went to see him after we got him to bed last night, and Rand asked to borrow pen and paper and ink.”

The Ogier’s ears jerked, and he frowned worriedly until his long eyebrows hung down on his cheeks. “I did not know what he was planning. I didn’t.”

“We know that,” Min said. “No one is accusing you of anything, Loial.”

Moiraine frowned at the paper, but she did not try to stop Perrin from reading. It was in Rand’s hand.

What I do, I do because there is no other way. He is hunting me again, and this time one of us has to die, I think. There is no need for those around me to die, also. Too many have died for me already. I do not want to die either, and will not, if I can manage it. There are lies in dreams, and death, but dreams hold truth, too.

That was all, with no signature. There was no need for Perrin to wonder who Rand meant by “he.” For Rand, for all of them, there could be only one. Ba’alzamon.”




“Moiraine took a deep breath. “This may well be what the Pattern has chosen, yet I did not mean for him to go off alone. For all his power, he is as defenseless as a babe in many ways, and as ignorant of the world. He channels, but he has no control over whether or not the One Power comes when he reaches for it and almost as little over what he does with it if it does come. The power itself will kill him before he has a chance to go mad if he does not learn that control. There is so much he must learn, yet. He wants to run before he has learned to walk.”




“I will leave orders for the Aes Sedai and Asha’man, Aviendha. Ituralde leads our troops, but you command our channelers at Shayol Ghul. You must keep the enemy from entering the cavern after me. You are my spear in this battle. If they reach me while I am in the cavern, I will be helpless. What I must do will take all of me—all of my concentration, every scrap of power I have. I’ll be like a babe lying in the wilderness, defenseless against the beasts.”

Meera crying because she can't pull Bran any further







The wilderness


Defenseless like a babe lying in the wilderness



against the beasts



I used to think in terms of the characters within ASOIAF taking on the characteristics character for character.  Then I realized that they were being divided up into multiple characters in ASOIAF.  In this Bran is taking on some the characteristics of Rand and the Night King is taking on some of Moridin’s character.  Bran is going to part ways from the characters that we know and go back in time and become Bran the Builder.  Click here to see my theory on that.  The one who hunts him, the Night King, has the same blue eyes as Moridin.  Some of you guys may have not figured it out yet but Bran and the Night King are linked in a similar way as Rand and Moridin were.  Click here to see how Bran and the Night King are linked like Rand and Moridin.




Suddenly, it occurred to her that this fellow knew a great deal for a Friend of the Dark, especially one not many years past twenty. He swung one leg over an arm of the chair, lounging insolently under her scrutiny. Graendal might have snatched him, if he had any position or power; only too strong a chin kept him from being pretty enough. She did not think she had ever seen eyes so blue. With his insolence in her very face and what she had had to endure at Shaidar Haran’s hands so fresh, with the Source calling her and the Myrddraal gone, she considered teaching this young Friend of the Dark a sharp lesson. The fact that her clothes were grimy added their part; she herself smelled faintly of the perfume in the wash water, but she had had no way to clean the rough woolen dress in which she fled Egwene al’Vere, with its rips from her journey down to the Pit. Prudence prevailed—this room must be close to Shayol Ghul—but barely.

“What is your name?” she demanded. “Do you have any idea who you are speaking to?”

“Yes, I do, Moghedien. You may call me Moridin.”

Moridin
At one point in the book Rand describes him this way:
"His rescuer stood watching him; covered with dust head to toe, the fellow managed to look a king."

Night King

Moridin gave no reaction. He was still staring at the flames. “We are connected,” Moridin finally said. “That is how you came here, I suspect, though I do not understand our bond myself. I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement.”


Where Moridin was the one to figure out first that he and Rand were linked; I think it will be Bran who will figure out how to use it to his advantage.  Bran will figure out what the Night King already knows; he can break Bran’s warg.  Bran will determine the same thing.  Click here to see my theory on that.  At this point I believe Bran will set his trap drawing the Night King to himself.  Click here to see Bran’s plan.

Bran's warg being broken by the Night King
Think what an advantage this would be if Bran could do the same

So, why do I believe Bran is setting a trap for the Night King?  Because Rand set a similar trap for Moridin.  And we have seen it played out in a way with the Three-eyed crow who taught Bran.  The student becomes the master.

  
Moridin scooped Callandor up off the floor. It burst alight with the One Power.

Rand stumbled away, holding his aching hand to his chest. Moridin laughed, raising the weapon high. “You are mine, Lews Therin. You are finally mine! I…” He trailed off, then looked up at the sword, perhaps in awe. “It can amplify the True Power. A True Power sa’angreal? How? Why?” He laughed louder.

A maelstrom churned about them.

“Channeling the True Power is death here, Elan!” Rand yelled. “It will burn you to a cinder!”

“It is oblivion!” Moridin yelled. “I will know that release, Lews Therin. I will take you with me.”

The sword’s glow turned a violent crimson. Rand could feel the power emanating from Moridin as he drew in the True Power.

This was the most dangerous part of the plan. Min had figured it out. Callandor had such flaws, such incredible flaws. Created so that a man using it needed women to control him, created so that if Rand used it, others could take control of him …

Why was Rand to need a weapon with such flaws? Why did the prophecies mention it so? A sa’angreal for the True Power. Why would he ever need such a thing?

The answer was so simple.

“Now!” Rand yelled.

Nynaeve and Moiraine channeled together, exploiting the flaw in Callandor as Moridin tried to bring it to bear against Rand. Wind whipped in the tunnel. The ground quivered, and Moridin yelled, eyes going wide.

They took control of him. Callandor was flawed. Any man using it could be forced to link with women, to be placed in their control. A trap … and one he used on Moridin.

“Link!” Rand commanded.

They fed it to him. Power.

Saidar from the women.

The True Power from Moridin.

Saidin from Rand.

Moridin’s channeling the True Power here threatened to destroy them all, but they buffered it with saidin and saidar, then directed all three at the Dark One.

Rand punched through the blackness there and created a conduit of light and darkness, turning the Dark One’s own essence upon him.

Rand felt the Dark One beyond, his immensity. Space, size, time … Rand understood how these things could be irrelevant now.

With a bellow—three Powers coursing through him, blood streaming down his side—the Dragon Reborn raised a hand of power and seized the Dark One through the Bore, like a man reaching through water to grab the prize at the river’s bottom.

The Dark One tried to pull back, but Rand’s claw was gloved by the True Power. The enemy could not taint saidin again. The Dark One tried to withdraw the True Power from Moridin, but the conduit flowed too freely, too powerfully to shut off now. Even for Shai’tan himself.

So it was that Rand used the Dark One’s own essence, channeled in its full strength. He held the Dark One tightly, like a dove in the grip of a hawk.

And light exploded from him.


The Night King raising his weapon high striking the killing blow like Moridin planned on doing to Rand


Bran has seen it all play out and knows that this is his only chance


So, that is it in a nutshell.  Why Bran goes back and the trap he intends to set for the Night King.  In the end Rand basically wargs Moridin and takes over his body; like I think Bran intends on doing to the Night King.  Like Rand say’s “… this time one of us has to die, I think.”  If what I suspect is true, they both will because of what Bran gave to Arya.

Will Arya use the catspaw dagger to kill the Night King not knowing it to be Bran after his plan actually succeeds?

Comments encouraged.  Love to hear the idea’s of others.  Most believe that since I present my idea’s as “fact like” I’m not open to change my viewpoints which is far from the truth.  I simply look at the information presented and go from there.  If you can shine a light on another way of thinking that opens the door to debate.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe if Arya doesn't kill him Bran will as the Night King Fly on Viserion. This could be how this comes true: "You will never walk again, Bran, but you will fly."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I see it Bran had already walked again in Hodor and flown in birds so that negates everything told to Bran which I believe it has to refer to Bran in his "Second Life" after his own body dies.

    ReplyDelete