Saturday, March 30, 2019

It’s time to dance with “Jak o’ the Shadows”


Potential Spoilers Below

I keep telling everyone that similarities between The Wheel of Time (TWOT) and A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) are vast even if there are those out there that say otherwise.

Per an interview Benioff tell us what the Night King is after: 

"I don’t think of him as evil, I think of him as Death,” Benioff told EW. “And that’s what he wants — for all of us. It’s why he was created and that’s what he’s after.”


It is noted that Jak o' the Shadows refers to death or the Dark One.  Since Benioff thinks of him as death the question now is will Tyrion who I believe is the Mat character from the Wheel of Time have a bigger role to play in the planning of the battles to come?  Mat’s mantra was "Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to toss the dice)”.  Mat normally says it when his life is on the line or is in trouble and needs to find a way out.  Anyone into ASOIAF and TWOT as I am knows that it may as well be Tyrion’s mantra as well.  Below are times within the books that Tyrion “tosses the dice”. 


“He does not look broken to me,” Lady Catelyn said.

Lady Lysa paid her no mind. “Say what you will,” she commanded Tyrion.

And now to roll the dice, he thought with another quick glance back at Bronn. “Where to begin? I am a vile little man, I confess it.  My crimes and sins are beyond “counting, my lords and ladies. I have lain with whores, not once but hundreds of times. I have wished my own lord father dead, and my sister, our gracious queen, as well.” Behind him, someone chuckled. “I have not always treated my servants with kindness. I have gambled. I have even cheated, I blush to admit. I have said many cruel and malicious things about the noble lords and ladies of the court.” That drew outright laughter.”




Bronn grinned. “You’re bold as any sellsword, I’ll give you that. How did you know I’d take your part?”


“Know?” Tyrion squatted awkwardly on his stunted legs to build the fire. I tossed the dice. Back at the inn, you and Chiggen helped take me captive.”



“Everyone tells me that.” Tyrion glanced up at the sellsword. “Did I offend you? My pardons … but you are scum, Bronn, make no mistake. Duty, honor, friendship, what’s that to you? No, don’t trouble yourself, we both know the answer. Still, you’re not stupid. Once we reached the Vale, Lady Stark had no more need of you … but I did, and the one thing the Lannisters have never lacked for is gold. When the moment came to toss the dice, I was counting on your being smart enough to know where your best interest lay. Happily for me, you did.” He slammed stone and steel together again, fruitlessly.”

“Oh, I imagine they’ll be here long before it comes to sleep.” The smell of the roasting meat made Tyrion’s mouth water.

Bronn watched him across the fire. “You have a plan,” he said flatly, with a scrape of steel on stone.

“A hope, call it,” Tyrion said. “Another toss of the dice.”

“With our lives as the stake?”

Tyrion shrugged. “What choice do we have?” He leaned over the fire and sawed a thin slice of meat from the kid. “Ahhhh,” he sighed happily as he chewed. Grease ran down his chin. “A bit tougher than I’d like, and in want of spicing, but I’ll not complain too loudly. If I were back at the Eyrie, I’d be dancing on a precipice in hopes of a boiled bean.”

“And yet you gave the turnkey a purse of gold,” Bronn said.”

“A Lannister always pays his debts.”



“When dawn broke, he found he could not face the thought of food. By evenfall I may stand condemned. His belly was acid with bile, and his nose itched. Tyrion scratched at it with the point of his knife. One last witness to endure, then my turn. But what to do? Deny everything? Accuse Sansa and Ser Dontos? Confess, in the hope of spending the rest of his days on the Wall? Let the dice fly and pray the Red Viper could defeat Ser Gregor Clegane?”



So, with all that being said will men sing song’s to Tyrion’s battle planning prowess as they did to Mat?  I don’t know but I do know that it’s time to Dance with Jak o’ the Shadows because “Winter is Coming”!


Click here to listen to the song for yourself or just read it below:

We'll drink the wine till the cup is dry, And kiss the girls so they'll not cry, And toss the dice until we fly, To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.
We'll dance all night til the moon runs free, And dandle the lasses upon our knee, And then you'll ride along with me To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

We'll sing all night, and drink all day, And on the girls we'll spend our pay, And when it's gone, then we'll away, To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.
There's some delight in ale and wine, And some in girls with ankles fine, But my delight, yes, always mine, Is to dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

We drink all night and dance all day, and on the girls we spend our pay, and when we're done, then we'll away, to dance with Jak o' the Shadows.
We'll toss the dice however they fall, And snuggle the girls be they short or tall, Then follow young Mat whenever he calls, To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

We'll toss the dice however they fall, And snuggle the girls be they short or tall, Then follow Lord Mat whenever he calls, To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.
We'll give a yell with a bloody curse
Then hug the maids it could be worse
As we ride away with the dark ones purse
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows




Like Mat; Tyrion was reluctant to go into battle

Who will walk away from this dance intact when all is said and done?

Comments encouraged.  Love to hear the idea’s of others.  Most believe that since I present my idea’s as “fact like” I’m not open to change my viewpoints which is far from the truth.  I simply look at the information presented and go from there.  If you can shine a light on another way of thinking that opens the door to debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment