Saturday, December 20, 2014

Why I made this blog

I created this webpage because I saw so many parallels between The Game of Thrones which I read first sort of and The Wheel of Time.  Back in the late 1990’s I read the first book of The Wheel of Time which a friend loaned me.  I thought it was amazing but when he told me how many books were intended to be written in the series I didn’t want to wait forever to be able to finish a series so I put it aside.  About 6 months ago another friend of mine got me interested in Brandon Sanderson’s: The Stormlight Archive.  When I finished the two books I read up on the author and to my delight I found that he had completed the Wheel of Time series.

So over the last 5 months I have completed all 15 books and well as listened to all five books of The Game of Thrones (I read them the first time through).  I saw the parallels immediately so I started taking notes using my iPad with iBooks.  Now I just have to start organizing my notes.  I have so many that I know pages will be updated a lot since I strive to be as thorough as possible.

After I get down all my notes I intend to tell you how I believe that the Game of Thrones will end based upon the Wheel of Time series.


If you don’t like spoilers then I suggest you turn away now.

8 comments:

  1. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/32204-why-does-grrm-hate-on-harry-potter/?p=1587763

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing this out. I know I'm not the only one to think the same thing about the Game of Thrones and the Wheel of Time. I just don't know why people people get so upset because someone has the courage to speak it out loud. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Just like those who get upset have the choice not to continue reading someone else's idea that doesn't line up with theirs. I for one am not the type to let what "the haters" have to say stop me from expressing my ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what you mean. The discussion clearly shows that GRRM's association with WoT isn't concrete. Does that not mean it can't be "based" on the WoT instead of just similar in words and a few themes? I don't know what you mean by haters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know that all I am doing is discussing my ideas also right? Just because the majority of people on this forum believe otherwise doesn't make their ideas any more valid than mine.

    Hating, the result of being a hater, is not exactly jealousy. The hater doesnt really want to be the person he or she hates, rather the hater wants to knock somelse down a notch.

    So should George RR Martin simply look at what is being discussed here and end the remaining books accordingly? If everybody knew how the books would end this forum wouldn't exist.

    So if your question is am I going to stop expressing my ideas the answer is no. My question to you is if you based a book upon someone else's work would you admit it? When I read the Wheel of Time I saw similarities throughout. When I am finished pointing out those similarities I will post how I believe it will all end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea why you needed that big paragraph. Nothing in it addressed the one thing I said, which is that people who know GRRM personally know he's not very familiar with the Wheel of Time and couldn't have "based" his story on something he never read. I didn't express any of this "hate." I didn't suggest you should stop. I just pointed out a flaw. You're free to write this blog all you want, but please don't put words in my mouth and make yourself a victim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you just look at the name of my blog it is titled "How The Game of Thrones ends based upon The Wheel of Time". The point being I have found so many similarities that my theory on how it will end will be based upon how the Wheel of Time ended. Does that mean the exact same way no.

    Whether he read the WOT or not doesn't change the fact that the concepts and ideas line up very closely. Have you read both book series? If so have you read my posts? If you have then you will know that what I am saying isn't fabricated. I am just showing the reader the similarities.

    It just seems you haven't gotten past my opening post as you only post to this my reason for creating this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I have heard Robert Jordan and George RR Martin were friends. Just over an ASOIAF website it says he created a House in the series just to pay homage to him:

    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Jordayne

    Being friends wouldn't you think you would at least read their books?

    ReplyDelete