Sunday, May 22, 2016

Will the direwolves make a comeback of sorts?

Potential Spoilers Below



To all of you out there who are taking the loss of the Stark direwolves so hard there me be some consolation for you if the story keeps mirroring the Wheel of Time.



“I know that sound,” Perrin said.

Perrin, Egwene and Elyas sitting around the campfire with wolves - Perrin discovers he can talk with them
“Sound?” the Aiel Maiden said. “What sound? The calls of the wolves?”

Aiel Maiden's
“No,” Perrin said as the Darkhounds began to lope up the path. “The Horn of Valere.”

Darkhounds
The Horn of Valere
The heroes would come. But upon which battlefield would they fight? Perrin could expect no relief here. Except . . .

Lead us, Young Bull.

Why must the heroes all be human?

A howl rose in the same pitch as that of the sounded Horn. He looked upon a field suddenly filled with a multitude of glowing wolves. They were great pale beasts, the size of Darkhounds. The spirits of those wolves who had died, then gathered here, waiting for the sign, waiting for the chance to fight.

The Horn had called them.

Perrin let loose a yell of his own, a howl of pleasure, then charged forward to meet the Darkhounds.”

“The Last Hunt had finally, truly arrived.”

I have already created a post about the “Horn of Winter” and what it could mean for the story.  The wolves that Perrin had grown close to in TWOT were wiped out one by one also.  So far we have lost Lady, Grey Wind, Shaggydog and now Summer.  That leaves Nymeria and Ghost.  Chances are they will die also in defense of their masters or the greater good.  But as the Horn of Valere brought back it’s dead heroes to fight against the Shadow including the wolves that had been Perrin’s friends; might not the Horn of Winter do the same thing for the direwolves.  Again we could see Ned Stark, Lyanna, Ygritte and all the direwolves that died come back to fight in the last battle.

The Horn of Winter?
Lady
Grey Wind
Shaggydog
Summer
Nymeria
Ghost
Ned Stark
Lyanna Stark
Ygritte

Note: In TWOT the darkhounds are described as being the size of horses.  In ASOIAF direwolves are described as being as big as ponies.  When the final battle finally comes may we not see the direwolves as least that big?

Comments encouraged.  Love to hear the idea's of others.  Most believe that since I present my idea's as "fact like" I'm not open to change my viewpoints which as far from the truth.  I simply look at the information presented and go from there.  If you can shine a light on another way of thinking that opens the door to debate.


13 comments:

  1. Maybe if the Horn of Winter does what I think it will do they will bring Hodor back as a Hero. But this time he will be the warrior that he could have been in life if not for Bran's mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next subject will tackle Meera and whether or not she will be kidnapped like Faile did. Will this drive Bran to start entering the "wolf dream" more frequently looking for her there to find her in the real world. The religious fanatics did it in TWOT but that doesn't quite fit here. Littlefinger doing it on the other hand works.

    Stay tuned because I will follow up with Bran being who Melisandre describes as the Great Other whose name must not be spoken. Bran will actually start this myth because of his going back in time trying to fix the things that he messed up. History tags him with a log of the famous Bran's but they never knew that he was responsible for so much more. Signs and Portents that we will find out caused a lot of the issues that we are currently seeing. He doesn't want the weight of the Great Other added to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you are doing this blog! I have noticed the similarities between WOT and GOT this whole time. But the Bran storyline, I think is going to coincide a bit with Rands story. I believe they may show us that Bran has been around since the beginning and his "spirit" Dragon Reborn type characterization always flows through Westeros. That is why he can influence the past and tap into different places. Also when he wargs too long and gets near the Nights King (Dark Lord) he can be touched. Hence why his mistake was costly to Children of the Forest and Hodor. Now the entire Wall could be in jeopardy depending on where Meera and him go. Thats my thoughts, thanks again. This blog is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do also. If you read my post "Bran, The Cave and The Children of the Forest" you will see where I came to the same conclusion.

      http://howthegameofthronesends.blogspot.com/2016/02/bran-cave-and-children-of-forest.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the compliment. I have plenty more material but getting the time to put it together is the problem. I was on vacation last week and I got a few more ideas out.

      Delete
  4. Next preview for episode 6 shows Bran still in warg mode and Meera trying to fight the Others. They are surrounded so something huge is going to happen at that moment! I wish the Winds of Winter was published already!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious!! You me and everybody else who has read the books.

      Delete
  5. Do you guys think Cold Hands may be their saving grace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of already know what is going to happen in that situation and I don't want to spoil it if you don't know.

      Delete
    2. Or Lady Stoneheart! Or if you want to go out on a limb....Hotpie will come to the rescue! Sorry for my sarcasm, I really do enjoy the tv show but the books are canon and make so much more sense than the show.

      Delete
    3. There have been a lot of leaks out there stating that Uncle Benjen will come to the rescue.

      Delete
  6. @Boogieman
    I would like to know your thoughts. Right now, I'm a show watcher because I want to wait for the series to be finished before I start reading the books... I can be an impatient person when it comes to items such as these.

    But back on topic, I've read a lot of theories and synopsis about Cold Hands and am hoping to either see this character. Also, I'm hoping to get a definite answer about Uncle Benjen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as the show is concerned we probably will not see Coldhands at all. But it appears that the next role that will be where Coldhands will make a reappearance in the books will be filled by Uncle Benjen. I also think we will get a definitive answer about Uncle Benjen but don't know if the show answer will be the same as the books as it looks like some story lines are being changed so as not to "spoil" the books.

    The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that HBO paid GRRM to not release the books so that what will appear will be new to everyone.

    ReplyDelete